
So something is clearly amiss at Chez Jules... Never have I been so excited about Christmas.
Anyone who knows me will attest to my normal Bah-Humbugginess; I normally make the Grinch look like a big ol' softie, and Scrooge's attitude toward the season seems downright cheery in comparison to mine.
But not this year.
Maybe alien elves abducted the real Julie... Perhaps the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come paid me a little visit when I wasn't looking... Or all the Whos in Whoville helped my heart grow three sizes larger. I don't know. But I'm running with it this year., no questions asked.
Since I now share space with the Smidge, who loves to climb the corn plant and is forever needing rescued from way up high in the trees in my backyard, I figured a Christmas tree was pretty much out of the question. The last thing I need is a painful Christmas memory of the year I had my beloved Smidge sent off to a taxidermist for breaking all of my cherished ornaments. So the perfect solution was to get a small tree and put it up in the bedroom, the thought being that I can pretty much keep the Hellkitten out of there. Well, since my bedroom is done in a chocolate/aqua scheme, none of my ornaments match. The only thing to do was rush out in a fit of fury and buy all new ornaments to match my room... voilà! Problem was, I got so excited buying aqua and turquoise decorations, that suddenly a small tree wouldn't accommodate them. So I now have a six-foot tree in the bedroom.
Now, the tree itself is kinda cheesy... and by kinda, I mean 200%. This is the first time since 1994, when I lived in a one-bedroom apartment, that I've had an artificial tree. And now, I remember why... it's just not the same. But this was supposed to be a compromise, so that's why it's a "skinny" tree and not as tall as the real ones I normally buy. But hey, since the needles won't dry out and fall off, I can enjoy it longer. And boy, am I enjoying it. Every night, I've been going to bed with the lights twinkling so I can gawk at it. You can't tell it from the pics, but it actually turned out pretty sweet for a mid-sized flame-retardant monstrosity... the ornaments are really fun. And once I buy a few more peacock feathers and tszuj the topper a little more, I think we'll be done. The big girls are enjoying laying on the dupioni tree skirt that I'm sure looks fur-covered by now. Ugh. But best of all, Smidgey's still alive and not stuffed like one of the 'fraidy cats from Hope Floats, knock on wood. Just 31 days 'til Christmas... hold on, lil' Smidge.
And for anyone else who lives with a feline juvenile delinquent, a parting tip: A chinese yo-yo makes a wonderful disciplinary tool for wayward cats. And two of them work like magic! Go figure. I picked a couple up while I was buying Christmas decor at Pier One, and the little stinker's scared to death of them. Score! If I stock up on paper yo-yos, I might be able to have that ten-foot tree in the living room, afterall... 

0 comments:
Post a Comment