»

Saturday, May 3, 2008

OUT CATTING AROUND IN THE WOODS... AGAIN

Say hello to my little friend from Natural Bridge, Alabama.

I know I really should be posting pictures of the beautiful scenery in that area-- but this shot was my favorite one of the bunch, for some reason. I'm sure my ridiculous soft spot for felines has nothing to do with it.

Natural Bridge is the longest natural-rock bridge east of the Rockies and was formed by water eleventy-gazillion years ago... It's basically a big, rock arch that you can't walk across, but can look up and admire. If you're ever passing through this area, north of Birmingham, be sure to drive in and hike up to the bridge. It only costs, like, two bucks to get in and is more than worth the price. You'll see some gorgeous scapes and rock formations, including one in the shape of an "indian face" and a cave dwelling that's really spectacular.

Well, about the time I got under the ledge and inside the dwelling, I saw a little tortie-shell kitty in the cave. At first, I thought I must be having some kind of mystical native american experience... I mean, I was long overdue for some cattitude, afterall. But as it turns out it wasn't a crazy peyote-induced cat spirit, afterall. She let me pick her up and I carried her as I proceeded around the inner path of the cave, back outside and down the trail. She was content to ride in my arms a good, long way-- which seemed odd, since hiking through the woods isn't exactly a pleasure cruise. Anyway, I guess we both needed what the other one had to give that day.

Once we completed the entire trail and crossed back up toward the visitor's center, I saw this little grey sweetie (in the photo above). He was very friendly... I think he would've jumped in the car and ridden back to Arkansas with me-- which I wouldn't have minded so much, except that Spencer and Sydney would not have been pleased.


So here's the inevitable line... I'm sure you all knew it was coming:

CATS ROCK!

0 comments:

Post a Comment