»

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A SHOUT-OUT TO DEAD COMEDIANS, LEPERS AND THE GIN BLOSSOMS


So does everyone remember the Gin Blossoms? Sure you do... awesome alternative band from the '90's. They had some really great songs: Follow You Down (But Not That Far). Found Out About You. Allison Road. 'Til I Hear It From You. Sound familiar now?

Well, we warped Office Spacers are still on the leprosy kick. We haven't heard any more about it in the news or anything; it's just that we can't quite give it up. It's rife with possibilities; frankly, we haven't exhausted them yet and will continue to run it in the ground until we do. In fact, Brittnee went to a party this weekend and a new DJ friend of hers, who happens to read our blogs, commented on the "I'm Bringing Leprosy Back" lyrics. And apparently after they enjoyed a few rousing choruses, the guy proposes a new version... set to the tune of "Hey Jealousy" by the Gin Blossoms.

You guessed it... it's "Hey Leprosy". I'm kinda miffed that we didn't think of it first; the cadence is perfect. Thanks for the idea, Will!

Tell me do you think it'd be all right
If I could just discuss my plight
You can see I have open lesions
And anyway I've got no place to go

You know it might not be that bad
If you gave me a skin graft
If I didn't root with armadillos
I might still have a nose


Tomorrow we can drive around this town
CDC chasin' us around
See if a prosthesis for my claw-hand can't be found

To scratch my face... Hey, Leprosy

You can trust me not to wink
And not to sleep around
I have no eyelashes anyway
And my face is turning brown

'Cause all I really want is a new skin
Feeling like I just can't win

If I hadn't lived in the Marshall Islands
I'd still have my hands… Hey, Leprosy


Tomorrow we can drive around this town
CDC chasin' us around
My arm's gone but something might be found

To take its place... Hey, Leprosy

So this is about the most inappropriate subject-matter ever... I'll give you that. But it's also a glaring example of the sophormoric behavior that somehow keeps me functioning as a (mostly) sane adult. Plus, you have to appreciate the certain irony of lyrics about a deforming disease, set to a tune written by a band that took their name from the broken capillaries found on the rosacea-ridden, bulbous nose of an alcoholic (namely, W.C. Fields). Rather poetic, isn't it?


"There comes a time in the affairs of a man, when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation." - W.C. Fields

2 comments:

Mikey G said...

I did not know that about the name, also his quote was great at the end.

Poor armadillos, they never asked for all this...

Will Askew said...

The lyrics are fantastic. Well done, Julie. I am thrilled that "Hey Leprosy" made it all the way to someone who could come up with lyrics. Very strong.

Post a Comment