»

Thursday, April 17, 2008

PELICANS ARE FUNNY

Well, not as funny as goats-- but they have the same quirky, comical demeanor that makes them amusing to observe. For me, they're kind of the goats of the sea... except that they can dive down and swoop fish up and into their pouches. I'd like to see a goat do that.

We've been watching the pelicans swim around the docks, totally "disinterested" in the fishermen who are cleaning and filleting the day's catch. Kind of reminds me of the way people act when someone totes a box of Krispy Kremes into the office: A few swoop right in for the take... But most circle, behaving rather nonchalantly and engaging in idle activity that can be halted the nanosecond the coast is clear.


2 comments:

Mikey G said...

Those birds look like us Baptist at casserole time. Did they all say grace with one eye open on the food? If so we're related

Jules said...

haha! My Dad always calls chicken "gospel bird" because so many people feed it to him when he's preaching out of town and is invited for dinner. I don't know why that's relevant here, really, but thought I'd jot it down.

I guess it speaks to the same idea, though... church folk do love to eat. And somehow Sunday "dinner on the ground" isn't really so different from throwing fish guts into the water.

Post a Comment